Tuesday, September 9, 2008

On forces...

I'm a stubborn man. It comes with being someone who has convictions, and the need/desire to stand by them, come hell or high water, as long as I believe in them.

I don't fold at poker often. I don't back down in the face of adversity and I don't give an inch if I think you're wrong.

I'm an Immovable Force.

When two people who are Immovable Forces are together, there isn't really an issue. Both people will stick to their ideals and beliefs without interfering with each other and can usually get along very well.

There is another type of stubborn person, however. The type that is a leader, or is forced to be a leader, and thus has influence over others. You'll notice that I'm not painting this type of person with a negative connotation. I don't believe that all of these type of person are bad, or wrong, or evil.

They are Unstoppable Forces.

Most Unstoppables are good people with good intentions. Unfortunately the bad Unstoppables are the most extreme, rude, disgusting people you've ever met. You know the types. They're the ones that bully a group at group outings, insist that whatever is going to be done (in a group setting) is going to be what THEY want to do, or else. They're the type that will tell someone sharing a belief how incredibly wrong and stupid they are.

I knew a few Unstoppable Forces like that, and am lucky to have distanced myself from them. I can safely say that today there aren't any of these kind in my life.

That isn't to say that I don't know a few Unstoppable Forces. I know plenty of them, and I'm lucky to know them.

You're probably seeing where I'm going with this.

What happens when an Unstoppable Force meets up with an Immovable Object?

Everything changes. Friends aren't friends, groups of people splinter into factions, guilds disband, and tempers run high. If left unchecked, people will choose sides, and unless something changes, war will begin.

A war like that is unwinnable for either force. It may seem like common sense when written here, in plain text, with unheated blood and calmness in mind. But when the blood is up, when tempers flare, that war seems not only winnable, but inevitable.

The only real way to succeed when an Immovable Force meets an Unstoppable Force is for one, or both, to move. An Unstoppable doesn't have to go in one line, it can change directions without being stopped. It can shift course, bend, and continue on without any damage done. An Immovable can do the same thing, in its own way, by moving aside. It can still be immovable, but in a slightly different place, and continue to be what it is.

So the answer to my question is easy.

When an Immovable Object meets an Unstoppable Force, the world ends.

Unless they both choose to compromise.

If that happens, the world wins.

So if you're an Unstoppable, or if you're like me an Immovable, please consider this and help the world you live in to win. You'll like those consequences much more than when the world ends.

I hope you're all having great adventures right now. ^^ I'll see you in the world.

P.S. As an aside, anyone who thinks that someone should leave a guild if they disagree with the Guild Leader would have really enjoyed Nazi Germany. And France. I choose to stay in a guild I care about, and try to make changes and compromises for the better. Cheers!

No comments: